Sunday, June 30, 2013

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen


For my birthday my Mom and Dad like to give me both Caldecott and Newbery Award winners, so this year I got the most recent ones. 

Some of you may recognize Jon Klassen's name from his other work I Want My Hat Back

My mother read this before giving it to me and when I opened it with my friends and family around, we had an impromptu storytime, because the book is hilarious!



The little fish is a thief, he stole the poor sleeping big fish's hat (who doesn't love a giant fish with a tiny hat!).


Of course the tiny fish knows that if he gets caught he will be a goner so he is swimming away to hide from the big fish, though he doesn't think he'll catch him!


Ah the old finder's keepers losers weepers argument , of course fish know this!

Now Klassen's has received criticism before for his works because they do have questionable endings.  They are meant to be humorous, and yes they may be a little dark, but I can tell you there wasn't a dry eye at our storytime, we barely made it through each page without bursting into laughter.

So I believe if you explain to your children the idea behind it, and that yes there are consequences for actions (though maybe not quite so extreme) there shouldn't be a problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment